Friday, December 14, 2012

REVIEW: Emotional - Feeling


Emotional is the name of the solo project of Brian Wakefield of San Francisco band Melted Toys.  Its debut album Feeling was recently released via Portland, Oregon label Gnar.  And please believe me when I tell you that Feeling is one of the most intriguing and satisfying indie pop albums I've heard this year.  Is is lush, melodic, hook-filled and inventive.  Brian loves his reverb, echo and other psychedelic effects at least as much as he likes his jangling guitar.  This is an album that encourages you to sit back and let images of hazy sunny California afternoons flood your mind.  Sample it here with "I Hate the Sun" (with UK artist Keel Her (Rose Schafeller) guesting -- there will be more on her music later this month).


Emotional - I Hate the Sun ft. Keel Her from Gnar Tapes on Vimeo.

There is a lot of technology in the effects, but the atmosphere remains lo-fi, chill, and a bit warped.  Feeling has become my go-to relaxing music lately.  I don't think that will change soon.



The entire ten-track album only costs $7, so I think it ranks as one of the holiday bargains.  Stream the entire record here and judge for yourself.




Bandcamp
Gnar Tapes

No comments: